First things first, there are still other internships, opportunities, ways to gain professional experience and companies hiring. And remember, this is not a reflection on you.
- Re-open your search and think about other ways to gain alternate professional experience:
- Externships/Job Shadow – some firms have these as feeders for future intern and full-time roles
- Research – assist industries/faculty while building essential skills for future classes/employers
- Fellowships – numerous opportunities are available in the nonprofit sector. See one example of a fellowship program.
- Network – Continue to network by reaching out to your personal network, family friends, and WFU alumni. Here are resources to help.
- Complement classes with a certification and spend time on the LinkedIn Learning site on the LinkedIn Learning site.
- Temp Jobs and Agencies – temp agencies have relationships with large organizations and during downturns companies often turn to temp agencies to augment their needs. This can give you a foot in the door when new opportunities emerge. View video.
- Volunteer – assist a local non-profit with a project that builds your resume while assisting others
- Stay in contact with your employer by writing a note or email (See sample language below); You may be called when the market rebounds.
- Check Handshake, Indeed, LinkedIn and other sites daily and apply to multiple opportunities at each login.
- Setup search agents in Handshake and Indeed. Here is how to do that.
- Look at the opportunities in the Employer Pulse email sent on Sundays.
- Prepare and practice interviewing with these resources.
Email to Employer for Internship/Job Offer Rescinded:
Dear Ms. or Mr. ________________ (substitute first name if appropriate & used previously),
Thank you for your email during this challenging transition. I hope you and your family are safe and healthy.
I am especially grateful that you selected me as a potential member of your team at _________( organization). I am passionate about this industry and especially excited about the work _____________ does. Right now, I am finishing up this semester at Wake Forest remotely and have had the opportunity to continue my research on ____________ (your industry) and developing additional (skills or proficiencies) in ___________ (skills from classes, or self-study like LinkedIn Learning workshops or classes that would add value such as programming and/or professional certifications).
As things change in the coming weeks and months, I would like to stay in touch and would welcome the chance to complete projects remotely.
Again, thank you for being in touch regarding the internship. I look forward to hearing how things improve for you and will be in touch to see how you are doing.