Career Trends and Gen Z – Challenges and Opportunities
On February 27 we hosted a webinar, “Career Trends and Gen Z – Challenges and Opportunities,” by our senior leaders: Andy Chan, Vice President of Innovation and Career Development; Heidi Robinson, Associate Vice President and Associate Professor of the Practice; and Mercy Eyadiel, AVP/Chief Corporate Engagement Officer. During this session, several key points were made that might assist you as employers when looking for talent from today’s Gen Z generation.
- A quote provided by VP Chan from Roberta Katz says: A typical Gen Zer is a self-driver who deeply cares about others, strives for a diverse community, is highly collaborative and social, values flexibility, relevance, authenticity and non-hierarchical leadership, and while dismayed about inherited issues like climate change, has a pragmatic attitude about the work that has to be done to address those issues.
- Gen Zers use Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, etc.; prefer an empowering/collaborative leadership style; want multimodal learning opportunities; and prefer forums to receive influence or advice.
- Employers are being challenged by the differing needs/desires of their early talent and more experienced employees. Gen Zers want collaborative/flexible workstyles; prefer direct, authentic, and relevant communication; question rules and authority; want corporate values and policies that embrace and affirm all peoples; and view hierarchy and systems with an “If it’s not needed, why do it?” mentality.
What Gen Z Looks for in Employers
- flexible work options/modalities;
- a work culture that is team focused, empowering, has involvement and innovation;
- clear values/mission on the work and lives their values;
- an authentic culture of care; supports well-being, personal interests, and respect for identity;
- ongoing growth and development opportunities/funding;
- investment in social change issues and authentic diversity;
- a global/diverse working atmosphere.
If you’d like to view the entire webinar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.