Before you go
- Update your resume.
- Update/create your cover letter.
- Create your networking and job or internship search plan.
- Bookmark the Handshake Key Tips page.
- Connect with a career coach. We are here for you if you need assistance – yes, even in the summer. You can make an appointment here.
- Check out GoinGlobal’s country and city guides for tips on your destination.
We know you will be busy with academics and immersing yourself in the culture, but you will still want to do the following:
- Apply for opportunities on Handshake.
- Continue to build your network.
- Remain in contact with your career coach.
- Subscribe to the weekly Career Pathways emails to stay informed.
- Learn how to be career ready using the Ready7 tools.
- Take advantage of Career Core, a free online exhaustive career resource.
Recruiting while abroad
How to participate in recruiting
You have full access to Handshake and can participate in virtual events, search for jobs/internships, apply, and even interview while abroad. Here are some helpful tips on optimizing your Handshake search while abroad.
If you are interested in an on-campus employer event listed on Handshake, you should email email@example.com for the employer’s contact information.
Important: You are responsible for reaching out to organizations to express interest. You should explain that you are currently studying abroad and would like to request information that will be shared with students during the on-campus presentation.
If you have applied and are selected for an interview within Handshake, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org and supply the organization name, job/internship title, interview date, and the interview time you have already signed up for within Handshake so that a virtual connection can be set up for you with the employer. Make sure to prepare for your interview, review the tips on virtual interviews, follow the directions provided to you by Employer Relations, and show up on time.
Important: A minimum 48-hour lead time is needed to ensure that a virtual connection can be arranged.
Wake Forest School of Business
The Market Readiness & Employment (MRE) team in Farrell Hall has a web page specifically for their business students. You can access their study abroad information here and other resources here using your Wake Forest email address.