Ben Kramer, ‘18 BEM

MRM, Account Executive, Global Growth (Business Development)

Please provide a few sentences to say what you do in your job.

I work directly with the Global CMO and other executives running pitches for new business. It is not a typical role as I do not work with clients and have very different expectations and responsibilities than most young people in the industry. However, because of the people I work with and the fact that I and one of the dozen or so people who sit in the agency’s global center, I have a very different perspective on advertising. I also get to work with senior people from other agencies and the holding company (IPG), which is excellent for me in terms of exposure.

What advice would you give students who have an interest in marketing/advertising?

Understand what you are getting into and the lifestyles that will come with various roles. Starting client-side is very different than starting at an agency. Also, in my experience, advertising doesn’t care about your academic background nearly as much. They care about your experience, attitude, and results. But, that same lack of focus on academic credentials and pedigree means that you can move higher in advertising without getting additional certifications and credentials. On the other hand, though it is changing, on the client-side, often to advance in a marketing function, companies will want to see an MBA.

What WFU career resources did you utilize that were most helpful to you?

I used the career center and handshake a lot, but they did not result in much. I did, however, have professors set up interviews for me, and while they didn’t result in jobs, they were beneficial.

What courses, activities or experiences gave you an edge in the job search process?

My internship was at the company I ended up working for. I also had leadership and organizational experience with The Media at Wake.

What specific advice would you give regarding effective networking?

Agencies overwhelmingly hire on an as-needed basis as their client needs change; this makes it harder for students because not often will a job be waiting for you when you graduate. Similarly, you could have a strong connection, and they could want to help you get a job, but if the company isn’t hiring, there isn’t much most people can do. It is also a very small world, networking is critical, and if a connection doesn’t have a position, they might have a friend who does.

Are there any books, magazines, websites, etc. that you would recommend to students who are interested in marketing/advertising?

Ad Age, Ad Week, The Attention Merchants, WSJ

Any additional insights?

The best thing you can do is talk to people, everyone likes talking about themselves, and as a student, you can ask any question you want.