Delaney Thomas, MHA (16’)

Performance Improvement Specialist, Duke Primary Care
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina

What advice would you give students who have an interest in STEM/Health?

When I started my journey in healthcare, I was often discouraged because I didn’t see myself providing direct patient care. If you find yourself in this space, take the time to explore opportunities in operations, performance improvement, health care finance, HR, etc. Leverage your network and resources to learn more about these roles as you navigate your career path.

What WFU career resources did you utilize that were most helpful to you?

I worked with Brian and others within the OPCD to develop my LinkedIn profile and headshot, help me with my resume, connect with alumni, and participate in mock interviewing. I made a connection through the WFU alumni network that led to my first internship, graduate school and, ultimately, my current career in healthcare operations. 

What courses, activities or experiences gave you an edge in the job search process?

My Advanced Spreadsheet Modeling course I took in grad school was extremely helpful for both my internship and current role. I was also intentional about informational interviewing. I knew that I didn’t know much about opportunities within the healthcare industry, so I took the time to engage with leaders in operational roles to better understand their daily workflows. These interviews gave me both valuable information and expanded upon my network.

What specific advice would you give regarding effective networking?

Fail forward! The first informational interview I had wasn’t a great one, but I continued to schedule these so I could practice. The more people I met, the better I got at networking. If graduate school is in your future, assess the resources available to you as you search for programs. My graduate program offered networking etiquette opportunities and an extensive alumni network that provided an extra edge when the time came for the post-graduate school job search.

What specific advice would you give to students regarding effective interviewing?

Remember that your interviews are a time for you to assess the organization and position just as much as they are assessing you. Come prepared to seek information that will allow you to make an informed decision on whether the opportunity will be a good fit for you and your career trajectory. Pay close attention to how organizations treat their people, especially during the pandemic. Ask about your professional development opportunities, work-life balance, and continuing education that will enable you to continue to acquire knowledge and built upon your skillset.

Are there any books, magazines, websites, etc. that you would recommend to students who are interested in STEM/Health?

There are several professional healthcare organizations that are sources of information and educational/conference opportunities (ACHE, MGMA, The Beryl Institute, IHI, AHRQ, Catalysis-Healthcare Value Network).