Rebecca (Becca) Brown is a 2016 graduate from the master of science in management program and is a Senior Consultant with Guidehouse, a leading management consulting firm serving the public and commercial markets. In this role, she is in their National Security Segment and works on a business process transformation team, creating and implementing strategic IT solutions across the Federal government.

What advice would you give students who have an interest in consulting?

Talk to as many people in the consulting profession as you can to gain a broader understanding of the types and the industries. This will help you understand the skills you should focus on for each. For example, for management consulting for the Federal government, I recommend honing up on your IT skills in the expanded Microsoft platform like Access, PowerBi, and SharePoint.

What WFU career resources did you utilize that were most helpful to you?

I’m very grateful for the career resources Wake had, including interview prep help, resume guidance, and the online platform for finding jobs. My first job after Wake was through an on campus interview.

What courses, activities or experiences gave you an edge in the job search process?

Organizational Behavior and IT Management both directly equipped me with skills for my current position.

What specific advice would you give regarding effective networking?

I recommend having questions beyond the classic “tell me about your day to day.” Rather, ask about what they find challenging about their positions, what they wish they had known, and what skills you can work on before you make it into the working world to be better prepared.

What specific advice would you give to students regarding effective interviewing?

Advice I was given at Wake and that I have found incredibly helpful is to have three experiences prepped before an interview. For each of these experiences, have examples ready for challenges you encountered, how you overcame them, and what the tangible results were. This will help when you’re asked any sort of “tell me about a time when” question, and lead to a cohesive conversation with your interviewer.        

Are there any books, magazines, websites, etc. that you would recommend to students who are interested in consulting?

Read The Economist! The language used and events covered in this magazine will equip you to speak intelligently and with a business mindset, while also keeping you informed about events on the world stage.