T.L. Brown is a Triple Deacon, having graduated in 1999 with a political science degree, in 2008 with a JD, and in 2008 with an MBA. He works with Wells Fargo Bank as a Sr. Fiduciary Risk Consultant, where as part of their Wealth Management group, he is responsible for mitigating risks associated with new personal trust business. In addition, he chairs the trust discretionary distribution committee, drafting line of business procedures, and addressing risk, compliance and/or audit issues that occur during trust administration.

What advice would you give students who have an interest in finance?

You should pursue coursework and educational experiences that require you to pay attention to detail, and to use/develop analytical skills.

What WFU career resources did you utilize that were most helpful to you?

I used the standard WF career services research tools at the time, which enabled me to obtain a job for a year between undergrad and law school. Aside from that, forming individual relationships with my career counselors were most helpful.

What courses, activities or experiences gave you an edge in the job search process?

I decided on my major with an eye towards law school. However, as far as the job that I obtained prior to law school, it was directly related to political science. I’d also say that my research skills proved quite helpful.

What specific advice would you give regarding effective networking?

Don’t just look to meet people, but rather look to establish meaningful relationships and/or experiences.

What specific advice would you give to students regarding effective interviewing?

Students should show a genuine interest in learning about the other person. I think we all appreciate someone showing an interest in us.