Caitlin Chestnut

2018 finance major
Protiviti
Risk and Compliance Consultant

Caitlin Chestnut is a 2018 finance graduate who works as a Risk and Compliance Consultant with Protiviti. As part of her job, she assists financial institutions in conducting activities that they are unable to perform on their own. Her analogy: “Someone once told me that a consultant is like a doctor for banks and, as I have progressed through my career, I tend to agree.” She has assisted with the creation and implementation of a risk management program, been a part of a company’s internal audit team, and helped develop a risk management process internationally. During the two and a half years that she has been with Protiviti, she’s been able to be on a varying number of engagements in order to gain beneficial knowledge and experience.

What advice would you give students who have an interest in consulting?

If you go into consulting, have an open mind and a willingness to continue to learn and evolve every day of your career because every single day is different and presents new opportunities.

What WFU career resources did you utilize that were most helpful to you?

(1)    Career Fair – I received my internship and, ultimately, my full-time offer at Protiviti based on a conversation that I had with a Protiviti employee during the Career Fair.

(2)    Business School Career Development Center – I met with various individuals in order to enhance by resume and highlight the topics that employers are interested in.

What courses, activities or experiences gave you an edge in the job search process?

During my time at Wake Forest, I worked part-time and held various leadership roles in a few organizations. Employers want to know that candidates are well-rounded.

What specific advice would you give regarding effective networking?

Never underestimate the power of a simple conversation. Employers need you just as much as you need them, so during networking, present yourself as someone that they would look forward to interacting with both in the breakroom and on a client engagement.

What specific advice would you give to students regarding effective interviewing?

During an interview, do not recite what is already on your resume but rather have a conversation with the individual. An employer can read all about the information you have included on a piece of paper, but the purpose of an interview is to get to know you on a deeper level. When you leave an interview, the goal is to have had a conversation that makes an impression.

Are there any books, magazines, websites, etc. that you would recommend to students who are interested in consulting?

While not a specific resource, I recommend looking at various consulting company websites because they provide insight into the various services offered.