The most common form of job or internship interview is a behavioral interview during which the interviewer asks questions about your past to help determine you skill level and cultural fit for the organization. Most commonly, interviewers determine what skills are ideal for the job position and then ask questions to determine if the candidate has those skills.
Knowing what kinds of questions to expect in your interview is only half the battle because you have to be able to answer the questions, too. The most effective way to answer behavioral questions is the STAR method. According to the STAR approach you should structure your answers to a behavioral interview question by highlighting the Situation or Task you encountered, the Action you took and the Results you achieved.
To practice answering behavioral interview questions, check out our STAR Interview Approach Worksheet.
- Give me an example of a time when you had to meet a deadline. How do you manage a fast approaching deadline?
- What was the most difficult task you performed on your internship last summer?
- Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty to get a job done.
- Give me an example of how you manage your time. What factors do you consider? How do you track your progress?
- Describe the most significant or creative presentation that you have had to complete.
- Give me an example of a project you planned and managed.
- Give me an example of an important goal you set for yourself and how you accomplished it.
- Tell me about a time when your opinion was challenged. How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a situation at work in which you experienced conflict and how you resolved it.
- Describe a situation in which you led a group of people.
- By providing examples, convince me that you can adapt to a wide variety of people, situations, or environments.
- Tell me about the toughest group you have had to work with. What made the group tough? How did you handle the situation?
- Give me an example of effective teamwork.
- Give me an example of a time when you took initiative.
- Describe your presentations skills and experience.